Friday, April 16, 2010

Deep Purple - Shades Of Deep Purple (1968)


Shades Of Deep Purple is the debut studio album of Deep Purple, one of the most famous and successful British hard rock bands. It's a very interesting album, containing four covers.

Hush is a Joe South's cover that is probably the most recognized song in the album.

Prelude: Happiness is a cover of Skip James's song I'm So Glad. It starts with instrumental section full of spanish motifs. The same thing I can hear in Hey Joe, a cover of song by Billy Roberts. I wonder where this spanish impact comes from! Anyway, I like the touch of Deep Purple in these covers.

There is also a cover of Help!, the song by The Beatles. I can notice Beatles influence in One More Rainy Day and Love Help Me.

I can strongly recommend this early Deep Purple work to every rock music fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment