Sunday, April 4, 2010

Queen - Queen (1973)

I need hardly introduce Queen to anyone, for this is one of the greatest and most influential bands in the history of rock music. I've heard about them already in my childhood, at a place where serbian folk music had been ruling for decades. Back in 1991, when Freddie Mercury died, all that noise and attention felt like hype to me. I guess I was simply too young to realize that Freddie was one of the biggest, most charismatic frontmen ever.

You cannot imagine how happy I got one day when I decided to take a look at the early Queen music. I started with the debut eponymous album Queen from 1973.

Surprisingly for me the album seems to be slightly underrated. I think it's just great. The complexity of the Queen ingenious style shows up already in this first record, coated with solid hard rock guitars. The heavy rockers are Keep Yourself Alive, Great King Rat, Liar, Modern Times Rock 'n' Roll, Son And Daughter, and Jesus.

Check out Keep Yourself Alive on YouTube, amazing rhythm, really cool bass, and excellent vocals from Freddie Mercury:

No comments:

Post a Comment